For many of us, there is a burning desire to go deeper within ourselves, to have a more profound understanding of who we are at our core. This desire is usually a nudge from our higher self to realign with who we truly are. When we know who we are and understand our true potential, we are then able to live the life we were created to live. But how do we reconnect to our true selves, our Higher Self? This post will explore seven (7) ways that will help you realign with your higher self so you can start creating the life of your dreams.
What is the Higher Self?
Your higher self is the real you, also referred to as the soul, consciousness, or energy. The real you is an eternal, infinite being that is one with Source and a part of the collective consciousness that makes up this Universe.
When you connect to your higher self, becoming fully aware of your oneness with Source, you:
- get access to the collective wisdom of the Universe;
- discover your true power and potential;
- get clarity on your purpose/mission;
- operate from a knowing that you create your reality, so the possibilities are endless;
- begin to feel connected to everything and everyone around you, becoming aware of the divine essence in every living being;
- start to experience infinite love, bliss, peace, and calm; a stillness and heightened awareness of presence;
- and so much more.
I know I used the term “reconnect,” but the truth is you’re never disconnected from your higher self. You are always connected to Source, but oftentimes our minds create an illusion of separateness from Source and everyone and everything around us. To realign with your higher self, you must clear your mind, silence your thoughts, and tune into a relaxed, present point of awareness, being fully here and now.
Let’s dive in.
7 Ways to Reconnect to Your Higher Self
1. Be Self Aware
Have you ever taken the time to think about where our beliefs come from, why we behave or say the things we do? When we observe our thoughts, emotions, actions, and motivation, we will start to uncover who we are. To become self-aware, we need to start asking ourselves: are my wants, needs, aspirations, desires, priorities, reactions, beliefs, and perceptions actually mine? Or are they pre-programmed?
Start paying attention to your own body and mind when interacting with others or having experiences. Ask yourself, how do I feel in this moment? What am I thinking in this moment? Instead of being swept up in thought. By observing our thoughts and emotions in various situations, we learn much about the Self and uncover any inner work that needs to be done.
2. Trust Your Intuition
We can become closer to our true self by following what feels right—going after the things that set our soul on fire. Logically one course of action might seem better than another, but it’s the intuitive pull that keeps you on the optimal path that your higher self would love for you to take. Your intuition is that gut feeling you get; it’s an inner knowing. And it’s often how your higher-self communicates with you, so practice trusting it.
3. Connect to Your Higher Self In Meditation
One of the best ways to reconnect to your higher self is to spend time in Meditation. According to Deepak Chopra, “in Meditation, we disrupt the unconscious progression of thoughts and emotions by focusing on a new object of attention, whether that is a mantra, our breath, image, or a question.” A good question to start with is: who am I, and why am I here?
Meditation brings us home to the peace of present-moment awareness and gives us an experience of profound relaxation that dissolves fatigue and anxiety. It allows you to clear your mind, access higher states of consciousness, and directly connect to your true self. You will be surprised by what will be revealed to you once you can quiet the noise in your mind and listen to your soul.
Like any other practice that you’re trying to develop, it will take time. Be patient with yourself but be consistent.
Here’s a quick meditation exercise that you can try to get started.
4. Spend Time Journaling
Another way to connect to your higher self is through journaling. Journaling can help you gain more clarity and understanding about who you are. Writing down your thoughts and the emotions you experience on a particular day or about an event will give you insight into how you truly felt in each moment. This exercise enables you to be more mindful and self-aware. Over time, you’ll be able to see patterns in your behavior and your thoughts.
Journaling is also a great way to reduce stress and anxiety. Releasing your negative feelings rather than bottling them up will help you reduce your stress levels and alleviate any tension. It allows you to let go of these thoughts by calming and clearing the mind.
Writing is also a great tool to create your story, the life of your dreams. It allows you to go deep within and freely express your innermost desires, dreams, and passions. This exploration can help you understand what your soul is calling you to do.
Journaling can be a part of your morning routine or something you do at the end of each day. The key is to be consistent.
Free Resource: Get access to our free pdf of 60 Journal Prompts for Self-Discovery >>
5. Do Things You Love, Things that Relax You
When our mind is relaxed, it’s easier for us to have a positive perspective and be at peace. This increases our energetic vibration and naturally deepens our connection to our soul. A peaceful state of mind allows us to open a dialogue with ourselves and connect with our intuition.
Here are some relaxing activities that can help you connect to your higher self:
- Take a salt bath. Ladies, there’s nothing more relaxing than soaking in sea salt and essential oils while listening to soothing music. It relaxes your muscles, clears your mind, and it feels like all your worries melt away.
- Paint, draw, or color: this brings out your imagination and allows your soul to express itself creatively.
- Dance or sing. When was the last time you danced the night away? Or sang in front of the bathroom mirror? Do you remember how you felt? There’s a feeling of freedom and joy that music brings that naturally raises your vibration.
- Get active. Spending time in nature always makes me feel so much better. There’s something about being in nature that makes you feel connected to everything around you. You can go hiking, do some yoga, or take a quiet stroll in the park.
- Solo travel is also another great option. You’ll be surprised what you’ll learn about yourself when you’re in a new environment, exposed to a different culture, and have the opportunity to just be You.
6. Feed Your Soul
There are many resources available to us that can help us reconnect to our true self—books, videos, podcasts, seminars, etc. If you’re unsure where to start, I would like to recommend two books that have helped me personally: The Untethered Soul: The Journey Beyond Yourself and The Power of Now: A Guide to Spiritual Enlightenment. Check them out and let me know your thoughts.
7. Keep Good Company, Find a Supportive Community.
Have you ever heard the saying: “show me your company, and I’ll tell you who you are?” Who or what we associate with influences our sense of Self. It is essential to spend time with people who can inspire and enlighten us to connect to our true self. Surround yourself with people who are positive. If possible, avoid negative and toxic situations. In whatever company you find yourself in and whatever conversations you’re having, ask yourself: “how does this serve who i’m becoming?“
Want to be a part of our sister circle?
Join me along with other soul-led beings on our Journey Within – a weekly newsletter where I share inspiration, insights & tools to help you deepen your connection to yourself & to a new way of being in the world. Sign up today!
We hope that these seven ways to reconnect to your higher self will help you:
- go deeper and become more aware,
- tap into your power and create the life your soul desires,
- and finally, be able to experience true freedom, joy, peace, and infinite love.
Have additional techniques that you would like to recommend to anyone on this journey? Please drop us a note in the comments section below.
Want a resource to help you reconnect to your true self?
Download our free pdf of 60 Journal Prompts for Self-Discovery below.